Tuesday Ramblings

Another bad night with acid reflux last night. What is wrong with me? Why can't I remember to take my medication as directed, on schedule? I know that the problems I'm having are my fault, because I neglect my medications so much. I'm starting out this morning taking my prescriptions and hope to be able to stay on schedule the rest of the day. One day at a time...

It is SO COLD! I cannot take this cold weather anymore! It's bone-chilling cold - my windows in the car are frozen shut and I can't get a Dunkin Donuts coffee without opening the car door. BRRRRRR! Hurry up, springtime!

I stopped in at Giant last night to pick up some things for the collection bin in the cafeteria here at work. There is an employee who drives through Philadelphia and hands out blankets and food items to the homeless people he comes across. I picked up several of the items on the list he provided and will try to get a few more next time I'm shopping. I've started clipping coupons to see if I can knock a few bucks off the grocery orders. When gas prices skyrocketed, food prices did too. Gas came back down a bit, but I don't see any bargains in food stores.

And I was (not so) shocked to hear this morning that the Philadelphia Inquirer's parent company released their records, in order to declare bankruptcy. They say that it will not affect the publication of their newspapers. Big surprise - last year, when the little guys were convinced to make financial concessions and give up a $25 a week raise, the CEO gave himself a $240,000 a year raise! What a creep! No one should make more money than the President of the US. Sorry - you are running a company - he is running a country. We are a nation of greedy, selfish people for the most part. Company bigwigs rake in the dough at the expense of their employees. The low man on the totem pole is always the one who is willing to make sacrifices for the good of the company. Something is wrong with this picture.

I did decide what to make for dinner last night. Pasties (pronounced pass-tees, with a short a, not a long a) - they are pie crusts filled with beef, potatoes and onions, seasoned with salt and pepper and baked in the oven. I cheated and used ready-made pie crusts - cut each one in half, heaped some extra-lean ground beef, diced potatoes and diced onions onto the pie crust, and crimped it shut after seasoning with sea salt and pepper. After baking until the hamburger is browned and the potatoes and onions are tender, I serve with mushroom soup for gravy. These were my all-time favorite meal when I was growing up. I haven't made them with home-made pie crust in a long, long time.


Hoping DS Dan can bring the baby by tomorrow morning so that I can introduce him to my friends at work.

Today is Fat Tuesday and tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent. Need to decide what I'm giving up for the next 40 days. I think it will be chocolate candy. I can eat candy bars like they are going out of style! I am a chocoholic, so that will be the ultimate sacrifice.

I started yet another WIP last night. Still haven't finished the baby's pants. I know, I know. He'll outgrow them before I finish them. Which is why I left the finished sweater and the hat with Dan and Nicole. At least, he will get to wear those. I think I'm just tired of working on that pattern. Most of it is single crochet worked in alternating front and back loops, so it's slow going! Still have the Sweetheart Ripple afghan on standby, and picked up some Red Heart Super Saver aran fleck yarn I had on hand here and started a shawl. It's a basic triangular shawl, and I'll trim it with scallops in one of the darker colors in the yarn.

Also finished "Marley and Me" - I highly recommend this book to everyone who loves a dog. It truly celebrates the fact that your dog loves you no matter what. It is bittersweet at the end - we all know that there will come a time when you have to make a difficult choice on your friend's behalf. We live with a senior citizen miniature pinscher. The ending brought tears to my eyes, but the book is written with such love, you can't help but know that John was Marley's best friend to the end. Kudos to John Grogan - loved the book!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nativity Set