Hexagon Afghan Pattern, on a Tuesday Afternoon



This morning was a physical therapy appointment. Unfortunately, the sore back is keeping me from doing all of the exercises required to strengthen my knee.


I have had a prescription filled for muscle relaxers and I hope that clears up the back problem.

Tom started back to school yesterday. I'm concerned about how he's going to be getting back and forth to the train station for school, as I'm still not driving.

Brandi's afghan is finished. It turned out nicely, I think. I tried an idea for a different border on it, and I really like the way it looks. I hope she likes it. Now I have time to start a new project. Not sure what I'll make yet - lots of possibilities.

Below are the directions for making the basic hexagon afghan. If you have any questions, please leave a comment.

Hexagon Afghan

I used a J hook and worsted weight yarn.

Chain 6, join with slip stitch to make a circle

Round 1 – chain 5 (this will be first dc and chain 2 space), dc in ring, dc again in ring, *dc, ch 2, dc in ring, dc again in ring, repeat from * 4 more times to make 18 dc and 6 ch-2 spaces, slip stitch in 3rd chain of ch 5 at the beginning to join
Round 2 - slip stitch into chain 2 space, chain 5, dc in same space, dc in each of next 3 dc, *(dc, ch 2, dc) in next chain 2 space, dc in each dc to next chain 2 space, repeat from * around to beginning chain 5, sl st in 3rd ch to join – there will be 5 dc on each of the 6 sides
Round 3 - slip stitch into chain 2 space, chain 5, dc in same space, dc in each dc to next ch 2 space, *(dc, ch 2, dc) in next chain 2 space, dc in each dc to next chain 2 space, repeat from * around to beginning chain 5, sl st in 3rd ch to join – there will be 7 dc on each of the 6 sides

Continue this pattern by repeating round 3 to the size needed for your afghan. You will be adding 2 stitches to each of the six sides with every row.

When you have enough rounds to make your afghan of sufficient size, your next to the last round will be the first part of your border. Slip stitch into the first chain 2 space, (ch 4, dc, ch 1, dc) in the ch 2 space, *ch1, skip first dc, dc in next dc, ch1, skip next dc, dc in next dc across to next ch 2 space (you will be skipping the last dc before the ch 2 space. (Dc, ch 1, dc, ch 1, dc) into ch 2 space, and repeat from * around to the beginning, joining in 3rd chain of beginning ch 4. Finish off.

With contrasting color, you will join with sc in first ch 1 space in the corner, sc in dc, sc in next ch 1 space, sc in next dc, *dc in skipped dc in the previous round, keeping the stitch BEHIND the ch 1, then sc in next dc, and repeat from * to next corner. You will sc in each ch 1 space and each dc in the corners. On the sides you will have sc in the dc stitches and dc stitches in skipped dc, keeping the stitches behind the ch 1 stitch. Follow the pattern of sc and dc around to the beginning sc, join and finish off. Weave in the ends.

I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to make afghans using this pattern, but do not sell the pattern. You may not sell the finished items from the pattern using any online venue, or in any other large-scale selling venue. Thanks!

Comments

  1. I love this! Thanks for the link....I'm definitely going to try this one. I hope I have enough yarn!

    Dumb question, though. With worsted weight yarn and a J hook how did you get your stitches so compact? Mine would look like lace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to work pretty tightly. Try a smaller hook - I've worked these with an I hook, and even an H. You will just have to decide for yourself how big you want to make it. Enjoy! I'm sure it will turn out fine for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Barbie's Easter Outfit Pattern