The Power of Words

I've been perturbed by things I've seen and heard lately. Children who use foul language, backtalking their parents. Worse yet, parents using foul language or saying mean, hurtful things when speaking to their children. Wonder where the child's reactions come from?

Let me tell you that words are powerful things. They cut deeply, like a knife, when used the wrong way. Those cuts reach all the way to the soul, and are difficult to heal. Sometimes they never heal.

If you know a parent who fits the description above, please advise them to stop. They are wreaking havoc with their child's psyche.


Such simple words! But words are mighty things;
They cast us down, or lift us up to rest;
They charm and strengthen, till our angel sings
The last of all the life-songs, and the best.


SARAH DOUDNEY, Some Words

Words once spoke can never be recall'd.


WENTWORTH DILLON, Art of Poetry

Use your words wisely - walk away before saying anything destructive. But blurt it out when you want to tell your children you love them.

I'll step down from my soapbox now...

Comments

  1. Preach it, Sistah! I wholeheartedly agree:

    "...for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart" Luke 6:45

    I think you gave me an idea for a blog post too. My idea bank has been running dry lately - hence a post about apples. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right! Good post! I've seen the damage it does for generations in my own family, and I have REFUSED to pass it on!!! I love my kids too much for that kind of behavior, and I treasure the blessing and responsibility God gave me and trusted me with, in being a mother! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truer words were never spoken. Or blogged. I wish I knew who said this so I could give them proper credit...but what you wrote reminds me of the saying: "People will forget what you did, but never how you made them feel."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Barbie's Easter Outfit Pattern