Friday, November 19, 2010

Long Time, No Blog

I've been away from blogging for a while, but the good news is that I've been crocheting.

I've finished a shawl for a sister-in-law who is ill. I've started another one, too. I also finished a sushi scarf, but I'm not real thrilled with it. It has a giant center, and not much white surrounding it. I wish I could unravel it from the starting end, to make the pink center smaller. Does anyone know if this is possible?



I am starting a hat for my grandson too. It's wool, so it should be warm. I found some lovely autumn colors at Joann's, and if you purchased 5 skeins of yarn, you got a free Paton's tote bag. It's a real cool bag, canvas with pockets.

Thanksgiving is coming up. I still don't know for sure what my plans are. Do I stay home and cook for 3 people, because my husband has to work that day, or do I travel to my sister's house, where she is hosting Thanksgiving dinner for most of my family? It's cheesy to leave my husband home with a Thanksgiving platter from Boston Market, I guess. But my son, future daughter-in-law and my grandson want to go to my sister's house for dinner.

This is going to be a busy weekend. I'm gathering up some unused yarn (got to clean up the stash) and I want to donate it to a nursing home for the residents to use. I think I have some hooks, pattern books and magazines to send as well.

Here is a photo of the completed shawl:



By the way, does anyone know how to use whole nutmeg? Is the nutmeg in a protective shell that you need to crack open? I've never bought it before, but I brought some home from vacation and I'm not sure how to use it. I've checked the internet, and I find some people say you need to crack it open and the nutmeg is inside, and some people say you don't need to do that - the whole thing is the nutmeg and you just grate it to use it. HELP! I have relatives asking me how to use what I gave them, and I don't know what to tell them. Anyone who has ever used fresh nutmeg before - your advice would be greatly appreciated. Here is a photo:



These are packaged in a cellophane bag, so it's not a great photo. But to me, they look like they have a hard shell and that they should be cracked open to use them. Is the shell to be discarded?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jeannie! It's good to see you and your beautiful work again! Love the shawl!.. Whatever you choose to do, I just wanted to wish you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy! ((hugs)) ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to tell you that nutmeg is ground on a very fine grater. I know this is an old post, but I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete