Another Grange Fair

Well, another grange fair has come and gone.  If I'm not confused on my count, I believe this was my 24th year.  Last year I was sick as a dog and thought for sure no entries, but I searched for projects I completed during that year and found an item to enter for judging.  Glad to say it won a ribbon.  Not a first place, but that's okay with me!

This year, I had 4 entries.  I have been hoping to beat my all-time high of 12 entries in one year, but my crochet mojo comes and goes.  I have done more crocheting this year than I have in the last several years, but a lot of that has been little crocheted hats for a NICU and not entries for the fair.  It's okay though, as NICU hats are close to my heart.  I love making hats for the smallest and most delicate of God's children.  My older son spent time in the NICU as a newborn.  His bilirubin count was so high that it required 2 complete blood exchange transfusions to try to bring his count down.  He survived it and thrives today with a wife and 2 boys of his own!

My entries this year consisted of a hat, scarf, Christmas ornament and an apple-shaped dishcloth, all crocheted.  3 out of the four took ribbons.  Third place for the dishcloth and Christmas ornaments, and a first place for the hat.  Imagine my surprise when I stopped in the fair on opening day and found a blue ribbon on my hat - but the tag had been changed by the judges to move it to the knitted category!  First place for a knitted hat!  The hat was correctly entered as crocheted (here is a link to the youtube video for the hazelnut beanie, if anyone wants to give it a try).  The judges mistook it for brioche knitting, which I've never heard of.  Seeing this, I felt funny accepting the ribbon so I e-mailed the fair personnel to let them know about the mistake.  When I went to pick up my items on the last day of the fair, I spoke to a fair worker in the needlework area.  She said they received my e-mail and they wanted me to take the ribbon anyway, as they loved the hat and thought it deserved first place, even as crocheted.  I highly recommend trying this beanie, if you love to crochet.  It was a fun piece to work on, and I may try small versions to donate to the hospital.  Below are the pictures of my entries and some pictures of the NICU hats I'm making.





In March we went on a cruise to the Caribbean.  That's where I got a lot of hats finished.  Best part of some of my days was relaxing in the coffee bar with an iced coffee or iced tea and crocheted in quiet comfort.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nativity Set